Sunday, February 23, 2020

RABBIT OUT OF A HAT!

Surprise!
Here’s a first look - acrylic underpainting see notes below for 
technical explanation if interested. I covered the entire canvas today
I have to let the dust settle before I show that version.

Acrylic underpainting notes
I had to cover all that white and figure out the main colors at the same time.
I added Golden Fluid Matte Medium to the acrylic colors. 
The medium does not change the intensity of the colors it just helps the 
paint flow and adds a matte finish.
Acrylic can dry shiny and I wanted a matte surface for the oil to 
adhere to properly. I am happy with the results so far and if need be I can 
use Golden matte sealer before application of the oil paints.
You can see all my reference photos on the table as well. 
I think I printed 15 photos to tape to the painting while working on that area. 
The next step is oil! Yikes! 
I’ll start at the top of the rabbit and work my way down. 
The sky will be the last thing painted - in theory.
Working on a ladder is a challenge in itself - I’ve fallen off once so far.
I’m used to stepping back to take a look but not while a couple of feet off the ground. 

Acrylic paints - I like Nova color the best. You can’t buy them in a store
you have to buy them direct from the factory in California. 
They’re pigment load is quite incredible and the colors are so clean.
I’m also using an old set of heavy bodied Golden acrylics.
If you have any questions about process you can always 
email me. I’d like to say I’m really excited about this 
project but it’s a bit overwhelming. Hoping that once I start painting
with oils that all my fears will evaporate.
Thanks for waiting and waiting and waiting MB





1 comment:

  1. OMG! This is so cool. It's your signature topic for painting - the Rabbit Ears (and the Space Station). I would be scared to death to mix acrylics and oils. YIKES. Thanks for sharing the process with us. DO NOT FALL OFF the LADDER AGAIN!!

    ReplyDelete