Tuesday, July 1, 2014

"NO VACANCY II"SOLD

I love the Rabbit Ears Motel sign. This is the third time I've painted
this sign and there will probably be a few more. I just can't quit. 
I love it!
Steamboat Springs just wouldn't be the same without it. 
I'm thankful it's being looked after and kept up.
In the 70's all of the outer bulbs had to be removed because
CDOT mandated that the sign could no longer be animated
and have the lights move in series because the sign is
on a major highway. The eyes moved too! I got here
too late to see the sign in full working order but I
thought it would be fun to try and add all the lights
once long ago removed. 
8" X 8"
Oil on panel
SOLD
Thanks a bunch

2 comments:

  1. I agree; this sign is a community icon. Thanks for the history ... we also came in the '70's and the lights and rolling eyes were gone then, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sign, too... FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete