Tuesday, November 14, 2017

ODE TO ANDY

12 X 12
Oil
I love to paint coke bottles. I love the shape, the chosen script style and how the light hits the letters.
I may have already told you this story - when I was 10 I wrote to the Coca Cola company for a school
project I was presenting. The report was about the kola-nut. I think I asked if they could send me a sample
nut for my report. Anyway long story short - I received a personal response from a real person in the company.
He explained why they couldn't send me a kola-nut and wished me luck in my endeavors.
I still have that letter in its original envelope!!!! Go figure. I have moved and carried that envelope
to every location I have lived since I was 10. It's a mystery really. Why do we hang onto these memories?
Good question. I will take that letter out of my drawer and marvel at that old typewriter script and
the exquisite ink signature. I admire good penmanship because mine is atrocious. 
 
The title to this painting pays homage to Andy Warhol one of my artist heroes.
My Disclaimer - I'm not advocating that you go out and buy some Coke. This
is not an endorsement for a product it's just an artists inspiration for line,color and form.
Thanks a bunch. It's going to be awhile for the next post. Getting ready for the show will
take more time than I can ever imagine. 
Happy trails and thanks - MB

1 comment:

  1. It cracks me up how you love to paint coke bottles. For me, the nugget in your story is that you have kept this letter over the years and still pine over the typed letters and the signature. I have boxes and boxes of old letters that I visit every once in a while. By the way, the light in this painting is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete